As most of us know all too well, there’s no such thing as wash-and-go when it comes to caring for your PPE. Proper care and maintenance of FR/AR clothing is essential to its effectiveness. Most industry standards recommend following compliant garment manufacturers’ instructions, while others offer more specific guidance. To keep it simple, we’ve compiled a list of our top 10 tips to maximize your PPE’s FR protection, wash after wash.
Read on to see our Top 10 Laundry Tips:
1. Do not use any kind of bleach or peroxide
2. Do not use any additive that could build up and impede FR performance such as fabric softeners or starch.
3. Wash FR/AR garments separately
4. Turn FR/AR garments inside out to help color retention and preserve appearance
5. Use liquid detergent for best results
6. Avoid the hottest washing and drying temperatures to reduce the impact of shrinkage
7. For tough stains, soak garments in liquid detergent or non-bleach, non-peroxide pre-wash stain removers before laundering.
8. For even tougher stains, FR garments may be dry cleaned
9. Tumble dry on low setting and do not over dry
10. Rewash garments with lingering odor